Reading Notes Week 13: Advice From a Caterpillar

 The Caterpillar held a hookah pin in his mouth. The smoke rose above him. The Caterpillar and Alice kept staring at each other. 

"WHO ARE YOU?" said the Caterpillar in his sleepy voice.

His question was not a warm and fuzzy conversation starter. Alice replied in her shy and closed-off voice, "um, um, I hardly know sir, currently I do not know, I knew who I WAS when I woke up this morning, but since then, there have been many changes."

"Wait, what do you mean? EXPLAIN YOURSELF!" Insisted the Caterpillar. 

"Well you see, I can't explain myself sir, I am not myself you see," replied Alice.

"I don't see it." said the Caterpillar.

"I'm afraid I can't explain it, you see, I have been so many different sizes today, I don't understand what is going on," Alice replied politely. 

"It just is not confusing to be different sizes in a day, it isn't," the Caterpillar said. 

"One day, you'll turn into a chrysalis, and then a butterfly. I think you'll understand this strange feeling. It's very weird, you know?" Alice said calmly. 

"Nope, not a bit," the Caterpillar replied. 

"Perhaps our feelings shall be different, it just feels very queer to ME!" Alice replied. 

"YOU!" said the Caterpillar. "WHO ARE YOU?"

This took Alice and the Caterpillar back to the beginning of their conversation. Alice was annoyed with the Caterpillar's short responses and remarks. Alice replied, "I think you ought to tell me who YOU are!"

"Why?" the Caterpillar replied?

Alice was puzzled and bothered. She did not understand why the Caterpillar was being so stand offish. It wasn't adding up. She turned away.

"Wait, come back! I ought to say something very important!" said the Caterpillar.

Alice turned around, hoping it was something promising. 

"Hold yourself together," the Caterpillar said.

"That's it?" said Alice, while holding in her anger.

"No," replied the Caterpillar.

Alice waited for a moment, hoping that the Caterpillar would say something important and change her mind into staying. He took a hit from his hookah pin and said, "So you think you've changed, do you?"

"Well, I am afraid so, sir. I can't remember things like I used to. I can't stay the same size for more than 10 minutes!" replied Alice. 

"You can't remember WHAT things?" the Caterpillar said.

"Well I've tried to say: HOW DOTH THE LITTLE BUSY BEE, but it all comes out differently," said Alice in a melancholy voice.

The Caterpillar said, "Repeat, "YOU ARE OLD, FATHER WILLIAM."

Alice folded up her hands, and began. 

Bibliography: 
This story is part of the Alice in Wonderland unit. Story source: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (1865).


The Caterpillar sipping his hookah pin.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Comment Wall

Week 7 Story: The Miraculous Mirror