Week 13 Story: Advice from a Caterpillar

 Alice and the Caterpillar stared at each other for a long time in silence.

"WHO ARE YOU?" asked Alice.

It wasn't the most comforting way to start the conversation, the Caterpillar felt a bit awkward. "Well, I am not sure Ma'am. All I know is I've been a butterfly and a caterpillar within the last few hours, I'm quite confused." said the Caterpillar.

"What do YOU mean!" said Alice.

"You see, I can't explain my transformations, I am just as confused as you are," said the Caterpillar.

" I don't get it." Alice replied.

"I just can't explain it. I've been different sizes and animals within the last few hours. That's all I can say," explained the Caterpillar.

“It just can’t be that confusing,” said Alice

 

“Well, I guess you have not experienced anything like this! It is hard to explain, it is unimaginable. I never thought I could change this much in this short amount of time,” said the Caterpillar.

 

“I do not think I will ever feel this way,” said Alice.

 

“Well, I guess we are different, I guess I am on my own journey with changing,” said the Caterpillar.

 

“YOU! Who are YOU?” asked Alice.

 

The Caterpillar got very frustrated, clearly Alice was not listening to him. This brought them back to the very beginning. “I think you ought to tell me who YOU are!” said the Caterpillar.

 

“Me? Why?” Said Alice.

 

Here we go again, another confusing question for the Caterpillar. The Caterpillar started to slither away.

 

“COME BACK!” screamed Alice.

 

It sounded promising; the Caterpillar turned around.

 

‘is that it?” asked the Caterpillar.

 

“No,” said Alice.

 

The Caterpillar waited for Alice to speak up. She took a hit of her Hookah pin and said, “so you think you’ve changed, do you?”

 

“I’m afraid so, I can’t explain it. It is weird. I can’t remember things for more than ten minutes,” said the Caterpillar

 

“You can’t remember WHAT things?” asked Alice.

 

“Well, I’ve tried to explain, but clearly it isn’t working!” said the Caterpillar.

 

The Caterpillar folded is his arms, and it began. 

Author's Note: I was inspired to right this story because I love Alice in Wonderland and the movie. I wanted to recreate the original story because I thought it would test creativity and writing skills. I decided to reverse the roles of Alice and the Caterpillar because it changed the dynamic of the two. I wanted to change the roles of the both of them because it also made the story change as a whole as well. I enjoyed recreating this story and it pushed me to think outside of the box when rewriting this story. 

Bibliography: 

This story is part of the Alice in Wonderland unit. Story source: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (1865).

Advice from a Caterpillar



Image of the Caterpillar.

Caterpillar


Comments

  1. Hello,
    I love the original story of Alice in Wonderland. It's odd and whimsical. Which movie are you referring to the animated or live action? I'm a large fan of the original animated version, especially the Mad Hatter and the Red Queen. There's inside joke in my family in which we refer to my mother as the Red Queen haha mostly because of her threat "off with their heads." I liked how you made the scene with the caterpillar from the story your own thing. I truly like Alice naive childlike curiosity and confusion. I think you captured some of it in your version of the scene.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Comment Wall

Week 7 Story: The Miraculous Mirror