Week 11 Story: The Coyote's Revenge

 Once upon a time, a hunter in the mountains heard a loud cry outside of his tent. It sounded like a cry for help. The hunter stepped outside his tent and saw the coyote howling to the moon and crying for food. The coyote turned to the hunter and started to beg for food.

Instead of shooting the coyote so it would stop begging for food, the hunter decided to shoot a rabbit. The hunter gave the coyote the rabbit to feast on. The coyote's eyes were so big and he started to feast on the rabbit.

The hunter went down to the village and told villagers he was feeding a coyote. The villagers started to freak out and told the hunter that feeding a coyote is bad luck. 

"Bad luck you say?" asked the hunter. "Coyotes are a symbol of darkness," said the villagers. The hunter ran back to his tent. Packed up his belongings, and camped out in the village that night.

He prayed that the coyote would not follow him into the village. The hunter did not want the villagers to be mad at him for feeding the coyote. 

Coyote knew where to find the hunter. In the middle of the night, the hunter heard the same noise as he did the night before. The coyote was crying and howling at the moon. 

The hunter knew coyote was hungry, and he couldn't help himself from giving coyote food. Hunter saw an eagle fly by. He shot the eagle and gave it to coyote. Coyote was so happy he ran away with the dead eagle. 

Hunter was confused. Hunter forgot how important it is the have a dance in the village when an eagle is dead. Hunter knew he would be in trouble with the villagers if they knew coyote ran away with the eagle. Hunter ran away, and never came back to his village. 


Author's Note: I really enjoyed the original story, "The Eagle's Revenge," but I decided to put my own twist on it. I wanted to use a coyote instead of an Eagle. I decided to create my own plot and change up the story but brought back the eagle at the very end because I wanted the eagle to be featured in the story. I enjoyed writing this story because I used my own creativity to incorporate some aspects of the original story but put my own twist on it. I have loved reading the Great Plains unit.

Bibliography: Great Plains: The Eagle's Revenge. This story is part of the Great Plains unit. Story source: Myths and Legends of the Great Plains by Katharine Berry Judson (1913).



Eagle flying down before he is doomed. 


Comments

  1. Hi Kylie! First, I think your blog name/layout is so cute! I liked reading in your author's note how much you enjoyed writing this story, you can always tell when something is forced. I did enjoy reading your story, however I was left a little confused on what the theme was supposed to be? Or maybe there isn't one and it's just a story to tell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kylie, I hadn't read this story previously so I kept thinking that this was going to be how he tamed the coyote to be his pet but I see now that it had a different ending. I liked your version though because it kept me on my toes trying to figure out what was happening. The poor Hunter ended up losing out because he felt sorry for the coyote though. I loved your graphics title though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Comment Wall

Week 7 Story: The Miraculous Mirror