Reading Notes Week 13: A Mad Tea-Party

 The March Hare and the Hatter were having tea under a table set out under a tree in front of a house. A dormouse was asleep and sitting between them. The other two were using cushions to rest their elbows and head. “Seems uncomfortable for the dormouse,” Alice said. 

 

The table was large, but three crowded together at one of the corners. “No room, no room,” they yelled when they saw Alice coming. “There is PLENTY of room!” said Alice. She sat down at the large armed chair on the end of the table.

 

“Drink some wine,” said the March Hare, encouraging her. 

 

Alice looked around the table, but the only drink was tea. “I don’t see any wine,” said Alice.

 

“There isn’t any,” said the March Hare.

 

“Then don’t offer it,” said Alice in an angry tone.

 

“It wasn’t very polite of you to sit down without an invite,” said the March Hare.

 

“Well, I wasn’t aware it was YOUR table, I think it’s meant for more than three,” said Alice.

 

“Your hair needs a cut,” said the Hatter. He kept staring at Alice, this was his first speech.

 

“You shall not make personal comments, it’s very rude,” said Alice.

 

The Hatter opened his eyes very wide and said, “Why is a raven like a writing-desk?'

 

“Now we must have fun!” said Alice. “I am enjoying asking these riddles,” said Alice.

 

“Do you mean you can answer it?” asked the March Hare.

 

“YES!” said Alice.

 

“Then explain what you mean,” said the March Hare.

 

“I mean what I say – at least, it’s the same thing, you know,” said Alice.

 

“Not the same one bit!” said the Hatter. “You might as well say, I see what I eat, or I eat what I see! Not the same thing.”

 

“I like what I get is the same thing as I get what I like,” added the March Hare. “Not the same thing.” 

 

“I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe,” added the Dormouse as he was talking in his sleep.

“It IS the same thing you see,” said the Hatter. The conversation went silent. Alice thought about the ravens and writing-desks, which wasn’t’ much.

 

“What day of the month is it?” asked the Hatter as he turned to Alice. He took his watch out and was looking at it uneasily and shaking.

 

Alice thought about the question and replied, “The fourth.”

 

“Two days off!” said the Hatter. “I told you butter wouldn't suit the works!” he said angrily to the March Hare.

 

“It was the BEST butter,” replied the March Hare.

 

“Yes, but crumbs must have gotten in the butter. You should not have put in the bread knife,” added the Hatter.

 

The March Hare looked at the watch and dipped it into his cup of tea. He looked at the watch again and said, “It was the BEST butter, you know.”

 

Alice was curiously looking over his shoulder, “what a funny watch!” said Alice. “It tells the day of the month but not the time!”

 

“Why should it? Does your watch tell you what year it is?” asked the Hatter.

 

“Of course not, because it stays the same year for a long time!” said Alice.

 

“Which is just the case with MINE!” said the Hatter. 

 

Alice felt confused. The Hatter’s remarks seemed to have no meaning. “I don’t quite understand you,” said Alice politely. 


Bibliography: 

This story is part of the Alice in Wonderland unit. Story source: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (1865).

A Mad Tea-Party



Alice, the Hatter, and the March Hare.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Comment Wall

Week 7 Story: The Miraculous Mirror